Overview: The Tampa office of Wilkes & Associates, P.A. is looking for a Legal Assistant. One who can assist in elevating the efficiency of Wilkes & Associates law firm, able to multi-task, have excellent communication skills, practice good judgement, keep files and proceedings confidential. Successful candidate will provide support to attorney by developing case information, evidence, and settlement options; tracking cases; supporting attorney’s trial proceedings.
The duties of the Legal Assistant include, but are not limited to:
- Legal research and writing, including drafting answers to complaints, discovery request, good faith letters, and motions
- Transcribe, proofread, and file legal documents before deadlines.
- Have a strong understanding of legal terminology.
- Reviewing medical records a plus
- Scheduling calendars, watching deadlines, communication with defense, court reporters and ensuring travel for supporting attorneys
- Experience navigating case management software and the ability to learn new software
- Reviewing discovery request and responsive documents
- Tracking incoming discovery
- Drafting good faith correspondence
- Drafting discovery motions to compel
- Pulling case law and assisting with creating hearing notebooks for hearings
- Reviewing hearing transcripts and drafting responsive Court Orders
- Knowledge of legal documents, court filings, and legal procedures
- Experience filing in the Florida E-Filing Portal and Judicial Automated Workflow System (JAWS)
- Some knowledge of Florida Rules of Civil Procedures
- Ability to work well under pressure while maintaining strong attention to detail, and a willingness to adapt and learn new skills
- Strong communicator with interpersonal skills and the ability work well in a team environment
- Basic knowledge of Westlaw a plus
- Excellent writing, editing, proofreading, and research skills
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office
- Bachelor’s degree or paralegal certificate preferred
The above job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The incumbent is expected to perform other duties necessary for the effective operation of the company.
Competitive Salary and Full Benefit Package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, and Retirement
Qualified candidates may apply by sending an email with attached resume to