Though perhaps less common than motorcycle, auto or tractor-trailer accidents, other forms of transportation also pose dangers and can result in serious personal injuries. Aircraft, trains and watercraft all have unique risks that can lead to accidents.
Aviation accidents can happen for a variety of reasons, including:
- Federal Aviation Administration regulation violations
- Pilot error
- Aircraft structure or design problems
- Federal air traffic controller negligence
- Flight service station employee negligence
- Faulty equipment
- Third party or carrier negligence
Likewise boating accidents have multiple potential causes, such as:
- Violations to the Code of Federal Regulations to Recreational Boating Safety
- State fish and wildlife department regulation violations
- Boating under the influence
- Reckless operation
- Vessel operator negligence
An injured party’s claim depends on the location of the accident (close to shore or further out to sea) as well as his or her status on the boat (i.e. whether they were a guest, owner, operator or employee). We can determine who can be held responsible for your losses based on the type of accident and body of water where it occurred. Accidents close to shore likely fall under state and federal laws, whereas accidents further out may be ruled by maritime law.
Sadly, train crashes have been in the news more frequently lately, both in the United States and abroad. The Federal Railroad Administration Office of Safety Analysis reports more than 1,000 train accidents in 2016 resulting in at least seven deaths. Causes most often are human error, though other factors in train accidents can include:
- Defective railroad crossings
- Negligent track maintenance and repair
- Train track obstructions resulting in crashes or derailments
- Train operator or employee negligence
Wilkes & Associates has experience in all types of transportation-related accidents. Understanding the laws involved, the time limits for filing a lawsuit, the importance of qualified experts, and the necessity of thorough investigation of the incident are all keys to successfully litigating a complex transportation case. If you or someone you love has been a victim of an airplane, train or boating accident, call our attorneys today for a free case evaluation.